Thursday 29 December 2011

Volunteering Feeds the Soul



Now that my calendar has opened up, I have the time to do some volunteering and help out some of my favourite organizations.

My Aunt works at the Preston Library and was asked to organize a Christmas Scrapbook Class.  The budget was a shoe string so she consulted me on how she might put this class together.  I suggested a paper bag scrapbook with interactive/pull out pockets, button and ribbon bits and pieces, button embellishments and lots of stamping /colouring.   Here’s a sample of the prototype.  You can see how popular it was by all the fingerprints and smudges on it.




The class was very popular and filled up immediately.  It was so popular that the Library plans to repeat it next year!  Awesome!


Beverly Central School is where my girls go to school.  I went to school there too although I remember the water fountains and then desks as bigger!  Each year the school hosts the annual “turkey skate”- the kids skate, not turkeys, but they are on the menu for lunch!  It takes place the first week of December at the local arena with this year being its 35th anniversary!  The kids all skate for an hour or two (often Santa makes an appearance) and then they eat a turkey dinner with all the trimmings lovingly prepared by the Parents Council. 

Not all of the kids skate or have skates, so it’s the Crafty Mom to the rescue.  Accompanied by Assistant Crafty Mom, Candice, we filled one of the change rooms with a cornucopia of crafts supplies.  Candice ran the pony beads, colouring, and candy cane reindeer station, while I manned the Christmas cards, bookmarks and snowflake decoration table.  The response was overwhelming and the kids had lots of fun.  So much fun that a few did not leave my table to make room for others to “create”.   I can appreciate that kind of strategy … if you’ve got a good thing, hold your ground until the lunch bell sounds!



Lovingly coined at the “Crafty Mom” at my children’s school, I offered to run some Christmas Card Classes at the school.  The day after Megan’s grade one class had a bus trip to the Post office distribution centre to see how the mail gets processed and to meet with Santa, we assembled some cute cards with layering and stamping.  Here’s the one she made for me.




Meredith’s grade five classes did a more intricate card using a folding technique that makes it appear 3-D.  Everyone enjoyed the crafts and one young man in Meredith’s class gave me a drawing of an F-10 plane.  His drawing was very well done and the gesture was very thoughtful.  It’s nice to know that I still have it with the fellas - even if most of “it” has gone south and the fellas are only 10 years old! 

No comments:

Post a Comment